Can I STOP AddOns from opening their websites upon update?

<<

geekroad

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Can I STOP AddOns from opening their websites upon update?

I really appreciate AddOns... but I don't appreciate them hijacking FF to send me to their webpage every time there's an update. NoScript used to be the only AddOn that did this, and it was annoying enough. Now most of them seem to. It's one thing to be sent to the AddOn website when you initially install it and FF re-starts... but to be sent every time there is an update is beyond aggravating.

So is there any setting I can tweak in about:config to prevent this behavior? Or is there an AddOn that will prevent it? If not, there should be!! I'd write it if I knew how!

Thanks for any help...
<<

archaeopteryx

AMO Editor

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 am

Re: Can I STOP AddOns from opening their websites upon update?

Depends on the extension if you can disable this. For NoScript, this is documented.
<<

geekroad

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks for that. One down, 199 to go. :D
<<

geekroad

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 pm

I'd like to add, since this forum is for feedback, that I would personally appreciate an option -- when I install any addon that plans to redirect me at every update -- that would allow me to disable that feature. Like a popup with a radio button. Having this behavior enabled by default is the kind of thing I expect of MS products, but not of the open source community, which in my mind anyway has always been about making the user's experience better. JMO.
<<

patrickjdempsey

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:21 pm

I have read discussions of plans to have an "official" method for this that would be the same for all add-ons, IF this happened, then there might be a way to whole-sale disable it. Add-ons are NOT created by Mozilla but by individual developers or in some cases, entire software companies. Since the popups and first-run pages are something that is not standard, but an added feature designed to catch your attention and possibly make ad revenue, my guess is they really want you to see them. Personally I find it to be not only annoying but obtrusive and somewhat rude, so I've made it a habit of removing add-ons that do this and finding alternatives.
<<

fligtar

Add-ons Product Manager

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 pm

There are plans to add standardized support for first-run and post-update pages for add-ons: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=459965

Once that is implemented, Firefox can add an option to handle them specially.
<<

geekroad

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:18 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote: [...] Since the popups and first-run pages are something that is not standard, but an added feature designed to catch your attention and possibly make ad revenue, my guess is they really want you to see them. Personally I find it to be not only annoying but obtrusive and somewhat rude, so I've made it a habit of removing add-ons that do this and finding alternatives.

I am about to uninstall some myself. It is especially bothersome when you get four or more updates at once. I do a lot of research online, and usually leave FF with several open tabs, set to recreate my session when I restart... then I get the updates and am bombarded with a slew of new tabs I have to click through to close each one before I can get started, careful not to close one of MY tabs! If this happened once in a huge while (every few months) no big deal... but when you have a lot of addons, it happens constantly and it's gotten real old now. It's not worth having the addons. This is not the way to make friends or revenue, imho.
Last edited by geekroad on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

geekroad

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Justin Scott (fligtar) wrote:There are plans to add standardized support for first-run and post-update pages for add-ons: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=459965

Once that is implemented, Firefox can add an option to handle them specially.

Thanks for this, Justin. Very good to know. The thread started in Oct of 2008 though... that has me a little worried... Not that things can get done quickly, but ... I wonder how close this is to becoming reality? Any idea?
<<

fligtar

Add-ons Product Manager

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 pm

The Add-ons Manager is being redesigned for Firefox 3.7 (or whatever the next version is -- 3.7 isn't officially happening yet). We're trying to get it in for that, but not quite sure yet if it will make it.
<<

geekroad

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:31 am

Nice to know it's a goal for 3.7. Hope it makes it! Thanks.
<<

47_MasoN_47

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:10 pm

THANK YOU!

I have had enough of this crap of Xmarks, NoScript, etc. taking me to their dang website every time I upgrade. I'm definitely going to be looking forward to "3.7" if it has a feature to turn that crap off.

Return to AMO Feedback and Support