[Updated] Firefox 3.6 is here, check compatibility!

<<

rymeister

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

Re: [Updated] Firefox 3.6 is here, check compatibility!

We are experiencing the same problem too. The previously installed add-on still shows as installed and is recognized after upgrading to 3.6. However, none of our functions are visible in the DOM and cannot be called.

Does the plugin need to be rewritten, or reinstalled?
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:59 pm

OK, I've run these questions around the people in charge of the XPCOM Plugin API, and here's what they've told me:
My apologies for not understanding the problem at first. This particular API was something I wasn't aware of. It appears you'll need to re-write your add-ons to use a different API. I guess the alternatives would be pure XPCOM and pure NPAPI.
<<

groupboard

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 pm

Ok, thanks for looking into this.
<<

Inkh

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:01 am

My thanks for looking into the issue too. Would've been great if this was highlighted a bit better in the change lists.
<<

cybermud

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Craptastic.. at least I now know what happened to our plugin. I inherited this browser plugin (and it's IE equivalent ActiveX control) and know next to nothing about FF plugin/Extension dev. Our brilliant over-lords axed the original developers rationalizing that all that would be needed was minor currency work. Can anyone else that's rewriting their plugin please outline what they intend to do to re-write their plugins now that the XPCOM API has silently disappeared and what sort of sizing I should estimate on our doing so? We used our plugin to do several things like a custom file picker, access/upload/read files from the file system. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
<<

groupboard

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:32 pm

For info on compiling npruntime on Windows, see here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Compil ... ual_Studio

Note that there are a lot of other things you will need to fix in the code to get it to compile (apart from the stuff listed in the above document). Also the documentation is very poor and you'll need to figure out a lot of things for yourself, such as how to pass arguments in and how to access CPlugin from ScriptablePluginObject. It took me an hour or two to get our plugin "running" under npruntime, plus another day of banging my head against a wall to actually get it all working properly.

The problem I am having is getting npruntime working under Unix (Linux) - it's just not happening. The np_entry.cpp code refers to things like NewNPP_NewProc which don't exist in the current xulrunner sdk (they were previously defined in npupp.h, but they are not in npfunctions.h) and it isn't obvious what they have been replaced by. Anyone have any ideas?
<<

groupboard

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Never mind, I figured it out - I just needed to grab the latest version of np_entry.cpp.
Previous

Return to Extension Development