Final bugfix version for pre-SDK Add-on branch

<<

nico-steiner

Post Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Final bugfix version for pre-SDK Add-on branch

Hi,

Since some months I'm developing restartless versions of my Add-on (2.x) with the Add-on SDK. All versions before 2.x were developed without SDK. Sadly there is still a significant amount of users that have installed 1.x versions (because of old Firefox versions). The complete code base together with the Add-on concept was rewritten for 2.x versions and is not backward compatible.

Here is my question: What is good practice for publishing one final bugfix version for the 1.x Add-on users? For me it's most important not to mess my 2.x branch with that bugfix version - it only addresses "outdated" users. Next to some last bugfixes I want to communicate that 1.x is no longer developed and want to encurage 1.x users to do an browser update.

My idea would be to publish a 1.x version (e.g. when last version was 1.7 I would publish 1.8) with a Firefox version range from 1.5 to 8.0. But I'm not sure if this has any bad influence on my 2.x branch/users, if this is possible at all or if there is a better way.

Regards
Nico
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:58 am

Re: Final bugfix version for pre-SDK Add-on branch

Last time we had a situation like this one, this is what the developer did:
  • Upload the update for the old branch and wait for it to be reviewed.
  • After it is approved, upload an update for the new branch and ask for a quick review.
The problem is that the main add-on page will show the latest version by date, not by version number, so your old branch update will appear as the main one. That's why you then need to push an update to the new branch, so that it takes back the main add-on page. You can send a message to amo-editors AT mozilla DOT org to plan this ahead of time, so that we're aware of what's going on.
<<

nico-steiner

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:10 am

Re: Final bugfix version for pre-SDK Add-on branch

Hi Jorge,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Regards
Nico

Return to Add-on SDK & Add-on Builder