Search functions in AMO

<<

dfoulkes

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Search functions in AMO

First... I searched around here for my answer but like so many boards the search routines don't read my mind and I can't read the programs mind... so, I couldn't find a specific answer.

Anyway, I go to the Firefox side of AMO and say... enter compact into the search window and the site produces a dropdown listing of those things where that word is part of the title and/or I guess... within its description.

OK... I'm on the Firefox side of things and I enter that word... BUT things like CompactHeader show up and if I were to click on that line I'm sent over to the TB side of things... I'm not interested in TB when I'm trying to search for something for my Firefox... so, what's the deal here?

Thanks.

Moderator Note
    Corrected typo when trying to underline the word compact
<<

dfoulkes

Post Wed May 02, 2012 9:45 am

Re: Search functions in AMO

No answer here so I filed a Bug report about this...
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=751223
<<

archaeopteryx

AMO Editor

Post Wed May 02, 2012 1:53 pm

If you click on suggestions, it is expected you click them because you know what they are. Pressing enter in the search box will only show compatible add-ons.
<<

dfoulkes

Post Thu May 03, 2012 9:03 am

archaeopteryx wrote:If you click on suggestions, it is expected you click them because you know what they are. Pressing enter in the search box will only show compatible add-ons.

I'm sorry, but that does not make sense. If I were to do a search on say Microsoft's site for a Win7-specific item I sure would not anticipate something for XP to show up in any search suggestions.

Long time Firefox/TB users "may" understand some of the functionality of some of this stuff (though it did not come up with that kind of suggestion-list in the past) but I'll assume for now that the majority of users out there are not long-time users and are looking for an extension/theme that may interest them... and if the search suggestions display-function basically says... "here's one for you" and then click on it and that extension goes to say... the TB page and of course it's not going to run in Firefox... I'd think that "they" would feel Mozilla is pretty stupid when then can't even supply the correct data for their Firefox product.

The trouble is that those in Dev. meetings of sorts are all heavy users of these products and forget to look at this stuff in a basic user-needs-concept. I know, I've been there... managed Dev. depts. where they focused on stuff from their point of view and forgot the bigger/common sense picture. So, basically... if I'm in a site that specifically targets motorcycle parts and I enter a search item for a Harley-related item I would not expect to see something listed in the suggestion list that only worked on a Chevy. Both those categories are motorized items but are in the same category.
<<

wls15202

Post Sun May 06, 2012 9:31 am

dfoulkes wrote:First... I searched around here for my answer but like so many boards the search routines don't read my mind and I can't read the programs mind... so, I couldn't find a specific answer.

Anyway, I go to the Firefox side of AMO and say... enter compact into the search window and the site produces a dropdown listing of those things where that word is part of the title and/or I guess... within its description.

OK... I'm on the Firefox side of things and I enter that word... BUT things like CompactHeader show up and if I were to click on that line I'm sent over to the TB side of things... I'm not interested in TB when I'm trying to search for something for my Firefox... so, what's the deal here?

Thanks.

Moderator Note
    Corrected typo when trying to underline the word compact

I think I misinterpreted your original question on the other forum.

Putting compact into the search field, does produce a drop down listing of ALL items containing the word compact. The drop down list contains links to those items, so clicking on CompactHeader will take you to the Thunderbird side of things, the way any website would.

If I click on the arrow next to the search field, I only get Firefox results.
<<

dfoulkes

Post Mon May 07, 2012 8:31 am

I think I misinterpreted your original question on the other forum.

What!... there's another person out there that does what I do :?: :lol:

Yep, I understand that the suggest-list is doing that and that if I hit enter it will display
what it found in Firefox and not anywhere else... It just seems to me that if I were on the
Firefox site and I type in something in the search-box then those items relating to only Firefox
should be "suggested"... because I'm in the Firefox link and I'm looking for Firefox stuff.... otherwise,
(especially a novice) junk Not related to Firefox is "suggested" ... and that is wrong.... and confusing.

I can see wide-world suggestions in something like Google (I turned it off... drove me nuts) because ... well,
it's a world-wide search tool... but suggestions in a specific product line should not jump over to other areas that are
not related to that product.

Anyway, I doubt that this "problem" will get anywhere but I just think that things should be more structured.

EDIT... here's an example of my-point-of-view...

The user visits the Firefox AMO link of addons ... maybe from a search of the Net or from the add-ons mgr. in Firefox.... or?? But, they are on the Firefox link in any case... and they may be presented with the above page. That page is specific to Firefox and everything about it is Firefox and even when you click on the "Other Applications" Firefox is not on the list but TB is... and is considered a Other app. So, my point is then ... why would a Firefox specific link, containing only Firefox extensions/themes etc, etc, give the user a "suggestion" item that is not at all related to Firefox... that's my point and to me and if I were Not aware of the ways of Mozilla I would think... well, that's pretty darn stupid... they don't even know what products work with what... anyway, that's my thoughts... wellll, Me and Forest Gump.

Return to AMO Feedback and Support