[Updated] Firefox 3.6 is here, check compatibility!

<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:49 am

[Updated] Firefox 3.6 is here, check compatibility!

Good news, everyone!

Firefox 3.6 Beta 1 will be released some time this week, sooner rather than later, so it is time for you to start checking if your add-on is compatible, and update if necessary. The add-on review queues are normally very busy during update times, so you should follow these guidelines to make sure your add-on stays up to date and it doesn't have to wait too long for a review:

1) Visit https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_3.6_for_developers and read all about the changes that have been introduced in Firefox 3.6.

2) Stay up to date with Mozilla news and check http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html frequently for the beta 1 release. The current scheduled release date is Wednesday October 28th.

3) Test your add-on with the beta and see if there are any compatibility problems.

4) If the current version of your add-on doesn't show any compatibility issues, you don't need to upload a new version. Visit the Developer Hub: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/ and edit the compatibility range in the latest version of your add-on (it's in the Versions and Files section). That's all it takes.

5) If you do need to update your add-on for 3.6, submit your update as soon as possible. There will be an update rush after the final release of 3.6, and it will probably take a while for the editor team to catch up. Once the beta is out, you'll be able to set your compatibility to 3.6b1. No big changes are expected between beta 1 and the final release, so you'll probably be able to update your compatibility to 3.6 later as specified in point 4.

Also, if you have binary components, some important changes have been made to the C API which might affect your add-ons. Make sure you build your add-on against the newest SDK, which is version 1.9.2.

Happy updating!

Jorge - Add-ons Developer Relations Lead :geek:
<<

patrickjdempsey

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Firefox 3.6 coming soon, check compatibility!

Two known issues with Themes not listed anywhere in this documentation:

- new Full Screen button. You need to not only provide a button in both of the Toolbar.png files, but you need to add the correct defining code in browser.css. If you do not, the Full Screen button will appear in the Customize dialog as the entire Toolbar.png file.

- :-moz-locale-dir(rtl) is not backwards compatible with 3.5 or 3.0. If you plan on supporting 3.5 for RTL users, you will need to make two separate sets of instructions, one using :-moz-locale-dir(rtl) and the other using [chromedir="rtl"]. Here is the correct link for information on this issue since the official MDC page is (as usual) going to a dead link:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Making ... TL_Locales

As mentioned in that article, I highly recommend abandoning the use of "left" and "right" and using "start" and "end" where you can... it makes coding for RTL locales much much easier as you do not need a separate set of instructions and there are no version compatibility issues.
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Beta 1 is out now!

As an added bonus, you can now set the maxVersion of your add-on to 3.6.*, so no there's need to wait. Go. Test. Upgrade (preferably in the dev tools).
<<

avi-halachmi

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:07 am

Compatibility reporter tool issues

Hi,
I'm testing as much as I can, and in my tests it's compatible with any combination of Application/Version/OS that I've tried. However, I'm also trying to use the compatibility reporter tool, and these are the reports I got for my extension.

Although there are 2 problem reports (out of 8), for me it's completely useless because it lacks data. I.e., there are two reports with identical combos (NT6.1/ FX3.6b1) of which one is a success and the other is a problem. I have no way to fix the issue because I can't reproduce it and I don't have more data (other installed addons, problem description, is it reproducible, etc).

The reporter tool is OK if there's a major breakdown with a specific OS/APP/Ver combo, but not good for anything else.

I suggest the reporter tool would allow standard bug report fields, similar to Bugzilla, and just let the user fill out whatever he sees appropriate. It could be much help for addons devs IMO.

Also, some of my reports have an addon version of 0, which doesn't help much.
<<

avi-halachmi

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:56 am

Is anyone reading this thread? Did I post my question in the wrong forum? What would be a better place to post it?

Any comment?
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:56 pm

The reports that say version 0.0 were made with a preliminary release of the Compatibility Reporter, which had a bug. Newer reports include the correct version.
Also, users have the option of including a comment as part of the report. In your case, nobody included a comment, so you that's why you didn't get much info out of the reports. If you have done proper testing in the "problem" platforms, then it's likely that you're OK, and whoever filed those reports did so by mistake, or because some smaller issue that may not be related to 3.6.
<<

avi-halachmi

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks for your reply and info. As far as I could test with reported "problematic" combos, it still seems OK to me.

I understand it's mainly a compatibility page, but for that too the developer would gain much help with a minimal description of the problematic aspect. I have 16 reports now, 6 of which submitted as "Problem", all without description, and still I have no clue as to what the problem is. This is not too helpful...

If, somehow, the users would be encouraged to add at least one line describing the essence of the problem, it would be great for the devs..
<<

que-mark

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:24 pm

firefox use to have a thing that told you if any of your add-ons are compatible with the new ver. or not before you ever tried to get the update. Will it have that again? And why did they/you take it away in the 1st place?
<<

peterlairo

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:06 am

The awesome Sage [1] feed reader and its two offshoots [2][3] don't work with Firefox 3.6. Unfortunately, I have been unable to contact the developers (one has officially bailed).

Could someone PLEASE take the code and make a compatible version of Sage?

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/77

[2] http://himag.blog26.fc2.com/blog-entry-234.html?lang=en

[3] http://sage.blat.co.za/2009/02/19/resignation/
Last edited by peterlairo on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 am

Re: [Updated] Firefox 3.6 is here, check compatibility!

Well, as the updated subject reads, the final version of Firefox 3.6 is now out and ready for the public.

Get it now!

The official release post has more information regarding what's new in 3.6.

If you're an extension developer and haven't updated your add-ons for 3.6 yet, this is the time to do it. Please read the opening post in this thread carefully, and make sure to not submit a new version unless it's necessary. The AMO Editors team will be very grateful for saving them some time :D.

Enjoy 3.6!
<<

hybridcattt

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:15 am

I dont know if i should post this here, but i have a problem with Personas + All-is-one Sidebar. Look at this:
viewtopic.php?t=497

thanks in advance
<<

joe7pak

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Here's how to update Sage ( well, Sage++ )

0) Uninstall old Sage
1) goto this website ( Higgmer's, by the way ):
http://himag.blog26.fc2.com/blog-category-16.html

On this japanese web page, there will be a download link near the top that says:
sagepp-2_2_0pre1-fx-HG-100118.xpi

2) download this.
3) rename the file to *.xpi from *_xpi.mp3
4) In FF, do 'ctrl-o', and surf to your .xpi file.
5) Install!
6) In FF, goto VIEW>>SIDEBAR, and check Sage++

WooHoo! It lives ... it LIVES!!!
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Please note that the current version of the Sage add-on contains a serious security vulnerability. The add-on is currently in the sandbox because of it, but it will likely be disabled or even blocklisted soon. I recommend looking for alternatives to this add-on instead of hacking compatible versions of it.
<<

groupboard

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:48 pm

We're having a problem with our plugin:

http://dev.groupboard.com/groupworld/test.html

As you can see, none of our scriptable functions are working. I've checked over the developer changes and I can't spot anything obvious that we have done wrong. Our plugin works fine with ff 3.5. Your post above says that there have been binary changes to the 1.9.2 SDK, but when I click on the link to download it, the latest SDK on the page is 1.9.1.

I see the mention of the nsIScriptablePlugin interface being removed, but we don't appear to be using that as far as I can tell.

David
Last edited by groupboard on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

peterlairo

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you for that link! I am ecstatic to see Sage++ updated.

BTW: I would love to contact Higgmer, but his site's contact form doesn't work for me, and the comment form of his blog has catcha graphics that have math questions in Japanese. I'm screwed. Do you know how to contact him? Per E-mail perhaps? :?:

I'd also like to add the following comment to his blog post:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, for updating Sage++.

I don't speak Japanese, and I am also not able to contact you via the sidebar on your web page (seems like a bug). Could you please provide an alternate way of contacting you?

Would you please consider uploading Sage++ to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/. It's very hard for non-Japanese to find or to understand your web site for your excellent add-on.

Would you please consider making the following style the default Sage++ style: https://www.mozdev.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=17649

Thank you for updating the BEST Firefox add-on in the universe!

Sincerely,
Peter Lairo
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Browsing through the releases site, I can see the 1.9.2 RC1 SDK:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... .2rc1/sdk/
It's probably good enough to try and build against it. I'm sorry, but I don't know when the SDK will be officially released. It should eventually appear at MDC:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko_SDK#Get_the_SDK
<<

groupboard

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Our code will not compile as-is with the new SDK - various header files seem to have been deleted.

We are using XPCOM, and although this has been deprecated in preference to npruntime, as far as I can tell XPCOM should still work in firefox 3.6. I'm guessing that you intended to still allow people to use XPCOM, but some change has unintentionally broken it and we will just need to rewrite our plugin using npruntime.

David
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm

XPCOM should still work as intended. I strongly recommend you investigate the reasons why your components aren't compiling anymore.
FYI, we do *not* allow extensions with NPAPI components in them.
<<

groupboard

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 am

The reason it does not compile with the new SDK is because you have changed/moved/renamed a lot of header files. Anyway, there's no point in us spending a lot of time figuring it out if we are going to have to rewrite it using npruntime anyway.

Regarding XPCOM: it definitely isn't working any more. See here for a simple test:

http://dev.groupboard.com/groupworld/test.html

Worked fine on FF 3.5, but FF3.6 says 'startup is not a function', i.e. it can't find any of the functions that are in the plugin.

Oh, and it's not an extension, it is a plugin in a .xpi file with an install.rdf.
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:53 am

Like I said before, just keep in mind that we're not approving any extensions with plugins in them.
<<

groupboard

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Yes, I realise that, and we have always hosted the plugin on our website - that is not an issue.

Anyway, I'll log this as a bug unless anyone has any other ideas.
<<

groupboard

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:00 pm

I did some digging, and it appears that XPCOM is no longer supported in firefox 3.6:

http://heejindev.wordpress.com/2009/09/ ... bye-xpcom/
http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/moonl ... 00628.html
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:21 pm

I can assure you that is not the case.

First of all, XPCOM is how the whole Mozilla platform works, so it can't be removed from Firefox without some major changes. Secondly, it hasn't been removed for add-ons, since there has been no official announcement about this (your references are not official) and no there are plans to remove it. Moreover, there are hundreds of add-ons that use XPCOM on 3.6 already. Removing XPCOM support would require a major change in how add-ons are created, and it would take probably years for all authors to migrate their add-ons to a new system.

XPCOM is available for add-ons on 3.6, and will be available for a long time to come.
<<

groupboard

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:05 pm

I think those references are just talking about plugins, not add-ons in general.

Anyway, can you take a quick look and see if you can see the problem? The plugin exposes two methods: startup and callfunc. In FF 3.5 you see these in the DOM when using firebug and showing 'user-defined functions'. In FF 3.6 it doesn't show these functions. Clearly something has changed with FF 3.6 regarding XPCOM/XPCONNECT and plugins.

(Oh, and this is running under Windows).
<<

Inkh

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:30 am

Bump! We're having the same problem and really, really need to find a solution to this.
Next

Return to Extension Development