How much money?

<<

buzzbyfirefox

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm

How much money?

How much money to people make from contributions?

- Is it enough kit your day job?
- It is enough to buy some additional hardware?

Obviously, contributions aren't just about money, but about recognition. I'm just wondering if the money is meaningful.

Eric Engleman
<<

konverts

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: How much money?

one of my addons has over a quarter million downloads and no contributions thus far.

so don't expect donations to pay for much unless you are very, very popular.
<<

Raptor85

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 pm

$4 so far for ~6k downloads, enough to pay for the 2 bottles of newcastle it took to write the latest update.
<<

jorge-villalobos

AMO Administrator

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 am

Unless your add-on is really popular, you shouldn't expect much at the moment. Contributions is still a pilot program, and it's not quite complete. One of the most important improvements coming in the future is to integrate Contributions in the Firefox Add-ons Manager, so that users don't need to come back to your AMO page to make a donation. I think that will make a significant difference in the amount of money received.
FWIW, my add-on is pretty popular (a few million downloads) and it has made a few hundred dollars.
<<

jim-penny

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

really not much money cant be made
<<

superfish-team

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:36 am

In addition to contributions, you can earn money by partnering with an add-on like ours that have built-in monetization. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13780/ These money-making add-ons can support other really cool but non-monetized add-ons for the benefit of the community, thereby keeping all add-ons free while still compensating developers for their work. Feel free to contact me to discuss if you're interested: joe@superfish.com.
<<

webgapps

Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 am

Among 5 of my extensions with donations setup, only two have received donations so far, because the number of downloads of the other extensions are really low.

The most popular extension I develop has 99,660 downloads so far and 13,395 active daily users. I have received $18 in 3 months in donations for this extension. The other one has 30,501 downloads so far and 5,271 daily users. I have received $80 in 3 months.

I don't have enough statistics data, but I believe the reason for such difference is because the extension with more donations is developed exclusively for Linux. I believe Linux users are more inclined to make donations, because of the philosophy of FLOSS.
<<

SmartLinksTeam

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:28 pm

SmartLinks recently launched a new option for add-on monetization. By including the SmartLinks feature in your add-on, users get additional links to relevant, high-quality content. About 1% of these links are sponsored and the proceeds are shared with the add-on developer. We have worked with Mozilla to carefully comply with all AMO policies to develop an opt-in, transparent feature that is beneficial to users and financially attractive to developers. If interested in learning more, please contact us at bizdev@getsmartlinks.com
<<

AndreiBogdan

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Hey guys, i'm new here so i'm just starting to learn things. I was wondering how do you know how many active daily users are there that are using your extension? Does the Mozilla account provide such a statistic? Or you need to implement in the extension a method to keep track of these things?
<<

webgapps

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:35 am

AndreiBogdan wrote:Hey guys, i'm new here so i'm just starting to learn things. I was wondering how do you know how many active daily users are there that are using your extension? Does the Mozilla account provide such a statistic? Or you need to implement in the extension a method to keep track of these things?

There is a Statistics section in the Developer Hub.
<<

AndreiBogdan

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:45 am

That's what i thought, thanks.
<<

parkerdeano

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:48 am

Seems it's hardly worth monetizing. Is this the case with everyone, or are the different results from other people on here?

Return to Monetization